Thursday, September 8, 2011

Augustine on Scripture and Meditation

"I listened with delight to Ambrose, in his sermons to the people as he drew aside the mystic veil and opened to view the spiritual meaning...For, as to those passages in the Scripture which had heretofore appeared incongruous and offensive to me, now that I had heard several of them expounded reasonably, I could see that they were to be resolved by the mysteries of spiritual interpretation. The authority of Scripture seemed to me all the more revered and worthy of devout belief because, although it was visible for all to read, it reserved the full majesty of its secret wisdom within its spiritual profundity. While it stooped to all in the great plainness of its language and simplicity of style, it yet required the closest attention of the most serious- minded." -Confessions, Book VI

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments subject to moderation. Please keep all comments respectful, modest, and tasteful.